Shiny, happy people
The sun was shining and the breeze was blowing. I was sitting on the lawn surrounded by piles of grass (daddy was tilling for our garden!)--some of it blue where you were painting. On my right, I was consciously trying to avoid sticking my leg in a soggy pile of lucky charms--your special "treat" that was spilled. I was taking a break from helping with the garden, and you were sitting with me. I'm not sure how many times while I was working I had secretly wished the barrage of questions would hold off for a minute or two. I know it was a couple, at least. We were all having fun but it occurred to me that I'm much more productive when you're napping :) Ok, maybe daddy wasn't having fun. He was wrestling with the rototiller. The noise scared you, hence your sitting with me, snuggled under your sweatshirt.
When the noise stopped, you stood up, and I noticed how wispy your hair was, blowing all over the place. You were so excited with all the bugs in the garden, and you picked up a wayward stick to play with....in a moment I realized you were using it as your microphone while you sang. You were making up the song and jumping around while you sang it.
And sitting there, among the lucky charms, the smell of tilled earth, the piles of "dandi-flowers" you love to pick, and the grass rustling in the breeze, I thought something.
"I'm going to miss this one day".
I've thought this thought before. I think all mommies have. But this time, it occurred to me just how amazing it is that I get to experience these days at ALL. I had long since forgotten to marvel over "dandi-flowers" (you point them out even when we're in the car). Without you, I never stop to count the airplanes in the sky--or consider the differences between each one. I would rarely eat Lucky Charms outside.
I probably would have been more productive at gardening in one day, but I would have missed....well, everything else. All the important stuff.
I looked at you again--you and that wispy hair. You're spinning in circles now, laughing at your own songs. I'm in awe of how special it is that I get to be part.
My sunshiny girl and her magic days.
When the noise stopped, you stood up, and I noticed how wispy your hair was, blowing all over the place. You were so excited with all the bugs in the garden, and you picked up a wayward stick to play with....in a moment I realized you were using it as your microphone while you sang. You were making up the song and jumping around while you sang it.
And sitting there, among the lucky charms, the smell of tilled earth, the piles of "dandi-flowers" you love to pick, and the grass rustling in the breeze, I thought something.
"I'm going to miss this one day".
I've thought this thought before. I think all mommies have. But this time, it occurred to me just how amazing it is that I get to experience these days at ALL. I had long since forgotten to marvel over "dandi-flowers" (you point them out even when we're in the car). Without you, I never stop to count the airplanes in the sky--or consider the differences between each one. I would rarely eat Lucky Charms outside.
I probably would have been more productive at gardening in one day, but I would have missed....well, everything else. All the important stuff.
I looked at you again--you and that wispy hair. You're spinning in circles now, laughing at your own songs. I'm in awe of how special it is that I get to be part.
My sunshiny girl and her magic days.
Comments