Bedtime
At bedtime, you brush your teeth first. Mommy and daddy take a turn too, but you always brush first, and insist on using the toothpaste alone. You're getting pretty good at it, too.
At bedtime, we always read one story. Usually, it's from your "Jesus Book" (The Jesus Storybook. Seriously, if you don't have one, GET ONE), but sometimes we read "Llama Llama" or "The Giant Jam Sandwich". Your favorite story right now is David and Goliath. When Goliath taunts the Israelites in your book, he says, "Chickens! I'll rip your heads off and have you on toast". For some reason, this line cracks you up...even one million reads later. You still laugh out loud. :)
At bedtime, you snuggle in with your Zoe and we pray. You are usually hesitant to pray out loud at bedtime (you're a pro at dinnertime though), but recently you've been asking to pray for friends who are sick or booboo's you have. We pray together.
At bedtime, we sing a lullaby. Your favorite by far is still "La La Lu".
At bedtime, kisses and hugs are always had. And then I say, "see you in the morning!" or "see you when you wake up!" and you always echo my words. One last kiss....
But tonight at bedtime, you asked about school. I told you that tomorrow we are going to visit a preschool, and we're going to ask God to show us if that is the school where you are supposed to go. You told me that "probly I'll pray in the car", and I told you that would be a good idea. You wanted to pray for a booboo (your powerwheels four wheeler flipped over yesterday and scratched your face) and a friend who has been running a high fever. We do both, and you tell me, "I pray in my bed when you're gone". This makes my heart happy, although I've never heard it. We sing, we kiss, we say our line, and I walk out into the next room.
And suddenly from your room, your little voice......
You were talking to Jesus. You were telling Him about your friend who is sick. You were thanking Him for helping us to know what school you should go to. You were thanking Him for making your booboo better. And then you said Amen.
Such a simple prayer.
At bedtime, my heart bursts with joy. I have never heard you spontaneously pray on your own (although we've encouraged it), and I LOVE that you are finding Him and He's finding you--is it weird to say---without me? Sure, we model a relationship for you, it's part of our whole family existence, we encourage it....but really...I can't think of anything sweeter than hearing you talk to Jesus when no one is around. I think He must feel the same.
At bedtime, I find more reasons to be proud to be your mama. I can't wait to hear what He says back to you.
At bedtime, sometimes the deepest desires of my mama heart come to pass. :)
At bedtime, we always read one story. Usually, it's from your "Jesus Book" (The Jesus Storybook. Seriously, if you don't have one, GET ONE), but sometimes we read "Llama Llama" or "The Giant Jam Sandwich". Your favorite story right now is David and Goliath. When Goliath taunts the Israelites in your book, he says, "Chickens! I'll rip your heads off and have you on toast". For some reason, this line cracks you up...even one million reads later. You still laugh out loud. :)
At bedtime, you snuggle in with your Zoe and we pray. You are usually hesitant to pray out loud at bedtime (you're a pro at dinnertime though), but recently you've been asking to pray for friends who are sick or booboo's you have. We pray together.
At bedtime, we sing a lullaby. Your favorite by far is still "La La Lu".
At bedtime, kisses and hugs are always had. And then I say, "see you in the morning!" or "see you when you wake up!" and you always echo my words. One last kiss....
But tonight at bedtime, you asked about school. I told you that tomorrow we are going to visit a preschool, and we're going to ask God to show us if that is the school where you are supposed to go. You told me that "probly I'll pray in the car", and I told you that would be a good idea. You wanted to pray for a booboo (your powerwheels four wheeler flipped over yesterday and scratched your face) and a friend who has been running a high fever. We do both, and you tell me, "I pray in my bed when you're gone". This makes my heart happy, although I've never heard it. We sing, we kiss, we say our line, and I walk out into the next room.
And suddenly from your room, your little voice......
You were talking to Jesus. You were telling Him about your friend who is sick. You were thanking Him for helping us to know what school you should go to. You were thanking Him for making your booboo better. And then you said Amen.
Such a simple prayer.
At bedtime, my heart bursts with joy. I have never heard you spontaneously pray on your own (although we've encouraged it), and I LOVE that you are finding Him and He's finding you--is it weird to say---without me? Sure, we model a relationship for you, it's part of our whole family existence, we encourage it....but really...I can't think of anything sweeter than hearing you talk to Jesus when no one is around. I think He must feel the same.
At bedtime, I find more reasons to be proud to be your mama. I can't wait to hear what He says back to you.
At bedtime, sometimes the deepest desires of my mama heart come to pass. :)
Comments