Discussions....

Brynne has been discussing things with us for awhile now. We've discovered that if we "hang out" with her for just a little after our bedtime book, she'll often open up about whatever she's been processing. It's amazing some of the talks we've had! She's definitely an 'end of the day' thinker...maybe it's the only time she's still and quiet enough?
Our discussions have often centered around Jesus...Christmas only highlighted this more, and we've spent lots of time talking about why He came, what that means, and that He made a way to be friends with God again. She asked me about why Jesus lives in my heart, and when I explained that I asked Him to come in, forgive my bad choices, and be in charge of me she said, "Yeah. I'm not ready for that." Besides chuckling about that later, we told her that was totally ok--this is a choice that only she makes when she's ready--and we haven't discussed it too much since then....we know she has a relationship with Him, and "making it official" is her business :)
Most recently, the talks have turned towards death. I think it's just the age, but she's been processing the idea of death and dying quite a bit. Her wheels are turning about the way the world works. It's humbling to watch and a privilege to be part of....but it's also difficult. There are questions in this world to which there are no easy answers, and we've grappled with her as she's asked us things like, "do little children sometimes have to go to heaven?" or made comments like, "I don't want you to die. I will miss you too much." The other night culminated in a serious (and long) conversation about what heaven looks like, why God writes us a new story when we die, and why we don't have to be afraid because when we are friends with God, the story He writes for us after we die just gets even better! She fell asleep satisfied, but Aaron and I talked much afterward as we processed for ourselves...were we answering her well? Have we've been doing enough? Are we really on the right track?
So many questions.
The next morning, she woke up and we headed downstairs to breakfast. As she often does, she told me she wanted to tell me a secret. I leaned in, and my little pixie whispered...
"I asked Jesus to come live in my heart last night."
My heart swelled for her. There are so many tough questions where the only answer is to cry out to Him....I'm so proud of her for knowing that even at 4, and she was so excited to tell me and her daddy what she had decided to do.
She decided she was ready.
Brynne Michaela, one day you will ask me about the day you first asked Jesus into your heart. You told me you "forgot that part" about asking Him to forgive the bad things you've done (I had to bite my lip not to laugh on that one). You may not remember the day, but I will...and I will share it with you.

I love you, monkey girl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

18 months

Sometimes life gives you lemons...PART 1

Homeostasis? Yeah, right! :)